Monday, August 27, 2012

Fraidy Cat


Well...with a little encouragement from my wife I went to see a dentist for the first time in, oh, longer than I want to think about.  I admit it...I'm a big wuss when it comes to the dentist.  As a result, I'm one of those people who will not go until the pain of a bad tooth is worse than any real or perceived pain I would get at a dental visit.  I've been having pain off and on for a year now and finally decided enough was enough, sucked it up, and went for an initial appointment.

It was only to get everything X-rayed so the dentist could see what he had to work with.  I appreciated the dentist not making any gagging noises or saying things like "oh my God!" or "KA-CHING, there's my new car".  We looked at the x-rays and he told me that, before anything else, a couple of back teeth will have to go.  The dentist asked if I wanted sedation and I replied that I need to at least be so high that he could rip out my tongue and I wouldn't notice, or be unconscious...and I would prefer the later.   So tomorrow I go for a physical to make sure I can tolerate the sedation.  Next week I go get them yanked out.

Strange how my teeth do not seem to hurt right now.  Perhaps I can just cancel.  Maybe the problem will just go away and I won't need to go through the ordeal of several scary dental sessions.

This is yet another reason why I need the motivation my wife provides.

No comments: