Saturday, May 31, 2008

No Excuses


This is my mantra for the coming challenge...quit making excuses. I'm great at making excuses for why I'm not doing something. Certainly better at it than actually, oh, I dunno, actually following through with what I say I'm going to do. I've used them all at one time or another and it usually convinces me, for awhile.

Eating:
"I don't have time to eat as planned today, too many meetings"
"One donut isn't going to make any difference"
"There's nothing on this restaurant menu anyway"
"I'll just make this a free day"
"I can have double (or triple) portions because I skipped a couple of meals today"

Exercise:
"I'm too embarrassed of my body to go to a gym"
"My gym is full of stuck up yuppies and I feel out of place"
"I'll go to the gym tonight after work"
"I'm too tired and sleepy to exercise this morning"
"It's too rainy, snowy, dark, or whatever to drive to the gym"

Transformation:
"No one knows if I fudge the challenge"
"I'll make up for it next week"
"I either have to smoke or snack all the time"
"I'm not getting support from my friends"
"I can always start another challenge"

Pretty damn pathetic as I write those excuses out. There are lots more but these seem to be the primary ones I've used with myself time and time again. I'm not like this. Really. I have more character than this, more drive, more ambition, and more ability than to just sit on the sideline and whine about why I'm failing at something without even bothering to complete the task.

No more excuses.

None.

2 comments:

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Jay, I see you are staring up a challenge tomorrow. Good luck and stay strong.

I was reading through your excuses. They all seem like old friends to me, I have used them all.

We have to keep moving forwared and doing what we can. I am going through issues with my sister in law right now that are 100 percent caused by her heavy smoking, being very overweight and not moving any more than she has to. She is 62 and it has caught up with her.

The good things you are doing now WILL make a difference in the future. We made never become Arnolds but we sure can both do more to be healthy and take care of ourselves.

I hope that some Saturday night you can check in on our phone conference. It's really fun to learn more about individuals we know from youTube and from the BFL website.

Stay strong and good luck starting tomorrow.

Terry

Jay said...

Terry, I'm sorry to hear about your sister in law. It must be very worrying for all in your family. You are so right when you say that, though healthy living will not guarantee something like what happened to her will ever occur, it certainly makes the battle much easier if it does.

If possible, I am going to try to wiggle my schedule around to join in on the Saturday phone conference.