Friday, March 18, 2011

Grace Under Pressure

I think something is wrong with me.

My job is somewhat stressful. It requires me to think and juggle several tasks during the day. I deal with intense emotions from other people. I'm required to make on-the-spot decisions that are often seconded-guessed by my superiors if the results go astray. The paperwork load is so immense I can't go to the bathroom without writing a report about the experience. I have watched my job burn through a lot of people...some not even lasting a couple of months.

I've done it for 15 years and love it.

Here I sit after a very long and hectic day looking forward to being on-call for the next 40 hours or so and I can't for the life of me figure out why I don't seem to be affected by the same stress that makes so many others crumble. I'm not super-human. I don't have any particular skills in dealing with pressure. For some reason though....the more stressful my job is during the day...the happier I am. It invigorates me.

Like I said; I have a screw loose somewhere.

Works for me though.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with you. You just love your job! That's not a bad thing... I love mine, too. But we are in the minority, here. I think most people are miserable in their professions. you and I are blessed with jobs we love!