Sunday, June 03, 2007

Free Day


One aspect about the Body for Life program that I think is absolute genius is the concept of a "free day". This is one day of the week where you don't worry about doing any type of exercise or pay attention to your diet. Do whatever you want. It's a freebee.

Now, of course, for the past several years everyday has been a free day for me. That's what got my body into the mess it is today. For example, the bratwurst patties that are pictured above. I love these things but they are bad, bad, baaaaaaaaad for you. Loaded with fat...and not the good kind either.

But they are damn good!

And, along with a lot of other foods that are not exactly healthy, I don't want to give them up. What's the point of doing a program if it entails quitting what I consider one of life's pleasures? I quit smoking because I don't enjoy it. I quit using drugs long ago because I no longer enjoyed the pain it was causing people who loved me. But eating? Heck man, I LOVE eating! If I started a program that required me to give up stuff like BBQ, pizza, or ice cream for the rest of my life; I would fail, just like so many others fail.

One day a week, I can have the foods I want, as much as I want. I give up nothing. It's a plan that literally lets you have your cake and eat it too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, PLEASE do not tell my husband that there is such a thing as brat patties! How has he missed those, anyway? He's from Wisconsin!

I stumbled on this blog from Blog Explosion's Surf feature, and you're cracking me up!