Sunday, June 29, 2008

Crossing the Abyss



This is the new Body for Life book just now out in a bookstore near you. It is, in a word, fantastic. The book outlines in great detail how to transform your body, and ultimately the way you feel.

Those that know me know that I'm into psychology and counseling people struggling to deal with mental health issues...particularly depression. I'm a firm believer in the theory that mind and body are an intricate part of the same system; that is, what effects one effects the other. In other words, we can have a great deal of control over our bodies as well as our emotional state. All to often we fall in the trap into believing that we have control of neither; that outside forces cause us to be fat, to be depressed, that it is not within us to change, that it can only be repaired through surgery or medication.

The book describes this mindset as crossing the abyss. Some call it taking a leap of faith. It's making the conscious decision to transform. To no longer accept the status quo of your life. To take charge of your body and your mind and attain the quality of life you want.

Oh...it sounds easy.

It ain't. If it were, I suspect there would be no problems with obesity or depression in this country and I would be out of a job. It requires work, tremendous amounts of work. It will be my project for the next 12 weeks to transform my body as well as my mental attitude....to cross an abyss of my own making. Photos may tell half the story. Hopefully, the writings here can tell the other half.

No comments: