Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Turkey Day

It's obviously an American tradition. Not since ancient Rome has there been such a focus by a society to spend so much time and energy into cramming as much food into one's body as possible and calling it a holiday. Tables across the county will be groaning under the weight of every imaginable delicacy with the crowning centerpiece occupied by a huge bird that bears a striking resemblance to a buzzard.

Oh...but I guess I'm slipping into curmudgeoness.

I actually like Thanksgiving. It usually gives me time to pause and think about all the things of which I am grateful. I'm even fond of the food (big surprise there) and will do my part in putting away enough to feed a small nation today....saving just enough room for pie. Since I will have kids and grandkids over today, the plan that my wife enthusiastically supports is to go out to a restaurant and let them deal with the cooking and cleaning up afterwards. That way, my wife and I will be all rested up for tomorrow...which is another uniquely American mass consumption holiday: Black Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving has long been a favorite of mine. Namely because I get to share the spirit of thankfulness with my extended family. At least once a year, I get to see most of them. I found a way to avoid eating to the point of being unable to breathe. As I dish up my plate, I just serve a couple of spoonfuls instead of an actual serving and tell myself I'll come back for whatever I want more of. That way, I get some of all the dishes I want to try on one plate. I don't feel like I have to return for mashed potates and gravy because the dressing took up the space on the first go around, you know? Of course, I do go back for extras on the favorites and do some overeating. But during the last two years I haven't eaten to the point of discomfort, yet still felt satisfied. Hah! That is one thing anyway, that I did right the last two years!
Hope you enjoyed your holiday!
catherine