Saturday, November 29, 2008

Taking an Honest Look at Myself


Gawd, I really hate doing this. It's a ritual done at the beginnings of challenges....the taking of the "before" photos.

But, here's why it's important.

I look in the mirror every morning when I shave. Most times I unconsciously keep my eyes from wandering down past my neck and gazing upon the flab below. Ignorance is bliss and, hey, if I don't see it, it ain't there. The human mind has the amazing ability to filter out what we don't like to notice about ourselves.

Cameras don't have that ability. There is no squinting, no turning, no escape from seeing in full color what is really there. It can be quite depressing. On the other hand, it can be very motivating as well. An honest look at yourself can focus like nothing else on why you are seeking a transformation in the first place.

I'm doing it for the person in the photo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm starting up again myself after having spent the last two years wallowing in food and worthless promises to start over again tomorrow!! I'm wishing well for the both of us, in fact anyone who goes on this journey. I did make it to the gym today!
catherine

Chunks of Reality said...

I completely agree and I never look at myself either. We are all in this journey together!!

Hepburn Hilton said...

Often I find pictures are more brutal then mirrors.. I don't thurst the mirror anymore. I take my picture before going out instead....