Friday, October 05, 2012

O Gentle Sleep!


One of the conditions of the base camp is getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night.  This is something that I may have to fudge on if I ever want to get through the entire 12 days.  Due to my lifestyle...I just cannot do that consistently every night of the week.  Some nights, I'm lucky to get four or five hours.  It's not because I have any difficulty falling or staying asleep once I go to bed.  It's just that my job gets in the way at times.

It's like this...Part of my job is to supervise a bunch of people across three shifts seven days a week.  Every once in a while, I have to get some face to face contact with them to do...well...to do supervising stuff.  For example; I'll probably get off work at 7 or 8 pm tonight, then go back to work tomorrow morning around 3 or 4 am to check on the people that work overnights on the weekend.  By the time I get home, unwind, eat dinner, visit with my wife...I'll be doing great if I can squeeze in 5 hours of sleep before heading out again.  The likelihood is that I'll get closer to 4 hours because I need time to ingest food and coffee to wake up enough to be functional.

Try as I might, I can't do anything about this.  So I'm thinking that, at least this part of the base camp, I'm going to have to just do the best I can and keep going.

No comments: