Monday, August 01, 2011

What I May Be

That really is the question I'm asking myself lately. I'm pretty solid on knowing who I am having long ago gone past youthful angst and any so-called mid life crisis. I'm happy. I'm content. I'm comfortable.

Almost.

For the past few years I've been trying to achieve a goal of health and fitness. There are a great many things that have gotten in the way of that plan; work, divorce, marriage, finances, age, .....oh...that last one...age. I'm coming up on my 54th birthday in a few weeks and I'm being met with the reality that I'm kinda getting old. I'm starting down the backside of middle age. Jeeze, I'm an adult!

Now I know all the bull people say about "age is just a number". Yeah, and my number is getting high. I look around at other men my age and, you know what's happening?....they are dropping like flies. Massive guts, high blood pressure, diabetes, you name it.

How do we get here? Decades of neglect. The accepted wisdom is that there is nothing a person can do about it. Muscle loss comes with age and with that loss comes less activity. Fat increases each and every year. You can't turn back the clock and cheat the karma of bad living and bad habits.

I think that's wrong...and I intend to prove it.

Starting on August 30th I am launching a one year project to absolutely change my body. I will document what works and what doesn't. I will be fit by 55 is my goal. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to end up with but not convinced on this date whether it is a possibility.

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be." -- Shakespeare Hamlet

No comments: