Wednesday, October 01, 2014


Everybody has a schedule.  You get into a routine.....up by a certain time, eat at certain times, go to work, come home, go to bed, over and over.  It gives the day structure and allows you to balance out all the things that you need and want to do in any particular 24-hour period.  Without a schedule, the day is aimless and things get left undone.  It's something of a vacation and, while nice for awhile, is pretty hard to sustain as a lifestyle.  We need schedule.  We thrive when there is a plan.  I don't know about you...but when I have a schedule for the day and something unexpected comes up (usually pretty much all the time) the ability to adapt is not just tossing away the schedule, but adjusting the schedule to fit the unforeseen event.

I've recently had a change imposed upon me in my work schedule; going in to work much later and, consequently, coming home much later in the evening.  I can't just shitcan my schedule, throw my hands up in the air, and say it's all pointless.  I have to come up with a new schedule.  I have to adapt.  This has necessitated changing when I do certain things every day...like eating meals, spending quality time with my wife, taking meds, exercising. 

Exercise most particularly. 

Oh how easy it would be to put exercise on the shelf.  To wait until I was more comfortable in my routine.  Until I (ahem) had the time.

I don't do that with eating.  Boy...I'll find the time to eat!  I'll make time to eat.

Exercise should be the same...and it will, it will.  I discovered this morning that the later hour I go to the gym happens to be a time when it is packed full of people.  I'm not sure why there would be so many more folks at the gym at 9am than at 7am, but I am going to have to figure a time that I can go and get through the crowd to the machines.  I may have to consider splitting my work day up and going in the afternoon.

I dunno but I do have to find a way.  I have to think of exercising as just about the most important thing I do during the day.

I'll pencil it in on my schedule.

No comments: