Monday, October 13, 2014

Too Old


Reality can be harsh, especially so when you're forced to realize that you are just too old for a great many things.  Oh...I know there are all the sayings that age is only a number or that you are as young as you think you are....but that is, by and large, bullshit.  The body (and mind) I had when I was a kid is vastly different than the one I have now so many years later.  I can't run all day everywhere I want to go like a child.  I can't shoot hoops for a couple of hours with friends.  I can't shrug off an all-nighter and go to work in the morning.  I can't live off a diet of microwave burritos and coffee.

I can't do a lot of things I use to do because I'm too old.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.  Most of the things I did while young were not good for me.  My body was a lot more resilient so the damages took decades to accumulate to a point where I noticed.  Now days, I can almost instantly feel the consequences of any abuse I give to my body.  I eat a piece of crap food...I feel bloated and sick.  I skip exercise....I feel jittery and moody.  I don't get enough sleep...I'm pretty much useless.  This type of almost instantaneous feedback keeps me on track in a way that being young never could.

Still play with toys and read comic books though.  I'm old....not dead.

No comments: