Monday, October 06, 2014

Supplement Yourself


I'm a skeptic.  I'm very leery about the claims of supplements that promise amazing results by using their products.  The health and fitness industry is particularly thick with the claims because....who wouldn't like to find some magic potion or pill that would give a shortcut to months of hard work and sweat?  My experience has been that an overwhelming majority of the products and their claims are complete and total bullshit.  Believe me...I've tried many of them.  I wanted them to work.  But wanting and getting are hardly ever the same thing.  I've been burned many times on crap products as I'm sure others have been screwed.  It's a racket aimed at a market full of desperate people....and it is as old as civilization.  

The thing is, to get all the nutrients needed to actually do stuff like lose weight, build muscle, and maintain good health is kind of complicated.  Most people....at least not me.....cannot spend a whole hell of a lot of time planning out, buying groceries, prepping, cooking, and hauling around all the good foods needed for an average day.  Plus, I just don't have the kind of money required to stock a pantry that would fit that need.  I don't even have a pantry in my tiny little house. 

So what to do?  

The easiest answer is to use food supplements.  Things you can supplement for a highly nutritious meal that is easy, convenient, fairly cheap, and portable.  What I have found that fits the bill are protein shake mixes.  I've gone through a lot of these as well.  Some are made of crap ingredients.  Some taste like they are made out of crap.  Some are actually more unhealthy to eat than a burger and soda at the nearest fast food slop shop.  

I have found a couple that are worthwhile.  Both are produced by the Phillips brothers.  Bill and Shawn Phillips had a company many years ago called EAS.  They really put out some good stuff and Myoplex blazed the trail as a nutrition shake that actually tasted good.  Not just edible but really yummy.  Eventually the company sold to others and Myoplex took a nosedive in quality until nowadays it is just crummy shit you can usually find in the clearance bin at WalMart.

However; both Bill and Shawn have developed their own nutrition shakes.  You can only get them online and they are a bit on the pricey side, but their quality is unmatched by anything you can find in any store for any price.  Bill Phillips has something called Right Light.  It's good but seems to be designed primarily for losing weight.  This doesn't work for me very well since I need a minimum amount of protein and carbs.  I wouldn't mind losing weight at a quicker pace...but the diabetes makes it a bit more tricky than normal. 

 Shawn Phillips has my answer with his product called Full Strength.  I can't say enough good things about this stuff.  It tastes great!  Mixes so easily I can even do it in a hand shaker at my desk at work.  It has an ideal balance of protein, carbs, vitamins, and minerals....geared to the needs of older men.  It's filling and satisfying.  The price is not cheap, but it's less expensive than a crap meal you would get on the go and it is worth every penny and more.  If you are looking for a quality meal replacement shake, I would urge you to give it a try.  They will even send you a couple of samples if you ask.  Just follow the link.  

It takes away the excuse of being hungry but not having anything good, and good for you, to eat.  

No comments: